Dental veneers are an increasingly popular dental treatment that can be used to help resolve a number of aesthetic flaws and give patients the perfect smile they’ve always wanted.
But are veneers the solution to all your dental problems?
What are veneers?
Veneers are ultra-thin shells that are bonded to the front of an existing tooth to improve their appearance. Usually made from porcelain or a composite resin – veneers are created to match existing teeth for a completely natural appearance.
What Type of Dental Issues Can Veneers be used to treat?
Veneers can be used to help change the appearance of the size, colour, spacing or shape of teeth. They are commonly used to help improve the appearance of;
- Teeth that are discoloured
- Broken or chipped teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Teeth that are an irregular shape
Veneers can be used to help improve the appearance of just one tooth or several depending on the individual patients and their needs.
How do Veneers work?
The process is relatively simple but can vary depending on the unique issues of each individual and the dental plan they are following which may involve additional treatments to achieve their desired results such as teeth whitening, composite bonding and orthodontics.
Once all oral related health checks have been completed the dentist will usually start by trimming a thin layer of enamel from the tooth to ensure it is the correct size for the Veneer (some types of Veneers require no trimming or preparation at all).
Impressions are then taken and the mould is sent off to a lab where expert technicians will create a bespoke veneer that will fit perfectly to the tooth. This can sometimes take a few weeks to make and in the meantime the dentist will usually provide a temporary veneer until the final version is ready.
Finally after a thorough clean a strong dental adhesive is used to bond the new veneer onto the tooth.
Veneers – The ‘Pros’
There are lots of great positives to having dental veneers in Essex including;
- Patient gains confidence with their new, improved smile.
- Chips, cracks, discolouration and gaps can all be covered up with natural looking veneers that colour match the existing teeth perfectly.
- Veneers are bonded to the existing tooth which means that in most cases no additional drilling or potentially painful removals are needed.
- Veneers look and feel very natural and porcelain veneers are highly resistant to staining that can occur from food and drink.
- With veneers no special maintenance is required. Patients simply brush and floss their teeth as they would normally.
- Some veneers are capable of lasting anywhere from 5-20 years depending on the type of material that is used.
What About Other Options?
Whilst veneers can be a fantastic dental solution for a lot of patients –they are not necessarily the answer to all dental problems. Like most dental treatments veneers are not a suitable option for everybody and a dentist will need to ascertain if a patient is a viable candidate during the initial consultation.
For those who need or are looking for alternatives there are other treatment options that may be better suited. For minor fixes and chips composite bonding can be an alternative solution that may yield good results. With tooth discolouration – tooth whitening treatment might be able to achieve results the patient will be happy with and for gaps something like Invisalign can be worth looking into.
All of these dental solutions can be discussed with a dentist to talk through the available options and decide which is best.